Why we need to set Environment ?
- python is the name of interpreter for Python programming language.
- python.exe interpreter is present inside Python installation directory usually in Program Files.
- Hence we need to tell OS about python interpreter.
- Set Python installation directory to the PATH variable.
Set up PATH
- Go to the directory where python.exe file is present.
- Usually inside “C:\Program Files\Python 3.5”.
- Copy this location from address bar.
- Now go to the System properties.
- Click on Advanced System Settings.
- Click on Environment Variables.
- Under user variable click on New…
- Give variable name as PATH (or path)
- Paste the copied location inside Variable Value.
- If you have previously created PATH variable then click on Edit.
- Add a Semicolon to the existing value.
- Then paste the copied location.
- Then OK, OK, OK.
Write Python code to notepad.
- Create a folder on Desktop with any name.
- “Python Programs” in my case.
- Open the folder and in the address bar type “cmd” and hit Enter.
- Type “notepad First.py” in the Command prompt.
- In the notepad write your Python code – print(“Hello World”).
- Save this file.
- Now go to the command prompt.
Run the python script from command prompt.
- Type python First.py (python name_of_file.py).
- Python programs have .py extension.
- You will see “Hello World” in the command prompt.